Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back to Basics: Classic Toy #1

Let me begin by saying that I love all the technological advances the toy industry has made over the last few decades! Many of Baby Bear's favorite toys are those that light up and play music. I like that I can find toys that help him learn letters, numbers, colors, shapes, opposites, etc. However, there are some great classic toys that are wonderful for helping develop a child's fine motor skills and creativity that I think sometimes get lost in the sea of technology.

The first toy to come out of the toy box almost every morning includes no technology whatsoever. They are simple, colorful, Fisher Price plastic cups that Baby Bear can stack, nest, and snap together to make balls, and he LOVES them! At around five months old he enjoyed watching me and Papa Bear stack them and then knocking them all down. Later, he began nesting and stacking them himself. I wish I'd had my camera on me to capture the look on his face the first time he got two of the cups to snap together into a ball. He was so proud of himself! Stacking cups, bowls, or blocks are one classic toy I think should be in every kid's toy box.



No comments:

Post a Comment