Monday, February 6, 2012

Crayon Resist Valentine's Painting

I found a recipe for homemade watercolors on I Can Teach My Child, so I thought I'd try it for a crayon resist painting with Baby Bear.

I started by drawing some hearts with pink, white, and purple crayons on a sheet of white paper. Then, I mixed the watercolor.

 This is the recipe I used:
1 T Baking Soda
1 T Corn Starch
1  White Vinegar
3/4 t corn syrup
3-4 drops red food coloring
1t  red glitter glue
At least some of the paint ended up on the paper. ;)

I learned that with this particular watercolor recipe, dark colors work best for crayon resist painting. Most of the purple hearts were visible, but the pink and white ones were covered. This could be in part because I added glitter glue to the original recipe. I think next time I will add a little less corn starch and use a black crayon. It went on smooth, washed off fairly easily, and provided a source of artistic entertainment for Baby Bear, though. That's a win in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment