Thursday, May 31, 2012

Gardening with a Toddler: Part 2

Baby Bear and I haven't had much luck with our toddler friendly garden. Only a handful of shoots have come up, and most of those are in one little spot where Baby Bear was very thorough about covering with seeds. I'll have to try again with more seeds and spread them a little more densely. For now, Baby Bear and I are observing the growth of the little patch of sprouts we do have. We are using words like grow, leaves, sprout, and green as we look at the plants. Baby Bear is a little hard on the sprouts because he wants to pull all the leaves off. Even though it's a tough concept for a toddler, I'm trying to teach him how to be gentle with the plants so they can grow big and get their flowers. I do still let him touch them, though, because it is his garden.

One thing I've learned from this gardening with a toddler experience is that it might be better to start with flower pots. If I had this to do over again, I would probably choose a fast-growing plant, start the seeds in little flower pots, and then transfer the sprouts to a garden my son can play in. Seeing as how summer is just beginning, we may still do this and see how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment