Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Books and Songs for an All About Me Unit

As mentioned in previous posts, Baby Bear and I spent the first two weeks of September doing a unit called All About Me in which we learned the names of external body parts and talked about some of the things we can do with those parts. Last night I realized that I never shared any of the books or songs we used to go along with our unit. There were SO MANY to choose from! We only needed eight books though (we go to story time once a week for our reading time), so I went with what we already had at home. I also limited our song list to the songs I thought Baby Bear would enjoy most. Here are our reading and music time lists for All About Me:

Books
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes by Victoria Adler
  • One Foot, Two Feet by Peter Meloney
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? by Dr. Seuss (for things you can do with your mouth)
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins
  • The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss
  • Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt (tactile)
  • I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak
  • So Big! by Anna Jane Hays

Songs
  • "If Your Happy and You Know It"
  • "Hokey Pokey"
  • "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes"
  • "Where is Thumbkin?"
  • "Father Abraham"
  • "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" 
Although I sometimes buy books to go with our homeschool studies, most of the time I use books we already have around the house or books from the library. For songs, I highly recommend purchasing the Go Fish album "Party Like a Preschooler" because the lively, contemporary-style songs encourage movement and dance, which adds an element of physical exercise to music time. Not all of the songs from this list are on the album, so I often use the YouTube app on my phone to find the rest. We had a lot of fun during our All About Me unit, and we are having a lot of fun during our current weather unit as well. I can't wait to share our next books and songs lists at the end of this unit because there are some great ones on there as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment