Monday, October 29, 2012

Sparkly Spider Web

One of the books Baby Bear and I have read as a part of our Halloween collection is Eric Carle's The Very Busy Spider. Baby Bear likes running his fingers over the web of this tactile board book, so I thought it would be fun to make our own tactile spider web as a craft to go with the book. I started by painting a spider web with glue on a piece of black construction paper. Then, I handed Baby Bear a container of silver glitter. He did an excellent job of making sure every last bit of the glue was covered in glitter! Once the web was all glittery, Baby Bear helped me pick out the pieces for the spider. Originally, I was just going to grab a black pom-pom and black chenille stems. At the last second, though, I decided to let Baby Bear pick his own pieces. He was adamant that he wanted a red spider with blue eyes. So, I cut three red chenille stems in half, bent them just a little in the middle so the legs would stick out at the right angles, and glued them to the web. I put a little glue on the bottom of a red pom-pom and let Baby Bear stick it on top of the legs. Finally, we added the glue wiggle eyes and let the picture dry. I am so glad I let him pick his own pieces because now he points to the pictures and proudly shows off his red spider. He also loves running his fingers over the sparkly web, just like he does with his book.



No comments:

Post a Comment